LWV-VA Action Alert
Support NO EXCUSE ABSENTEE VOTING (NEAV)
These bills support 100% NEAV, in-person and absentee: HB1072 (Heretick), SB114 (Sen. Locke and Del. Kory) (There are several others that just partial NEAV.)
Legislators need to get a high volume of calls and emails — just to ask for support THIS year. The reasons have been discussed for years! Such as….
No Excuse Absentee Voting
- All voters should have equal access to the ballot.
- No voter should have to provide personal unrelated information to cast a ballot.
- Voters have found it very confusing about their eligibility to vote before Election Day.
- Voting absentee in-person is as secure as voting on Election Day.
- Local Election Offices have had success in reducing long lines on Election Day by encouraging absentee voting.
- For voting absentee in-person, eliminating the cumbersome process of completing the absentee application would save time as well as the expense of printing the form. The time to complete the application adds considerably to the process of voting. Providing supporting information for any current excuse adds more time to the process.
- Extra personnel are needed to explain the form and check it for completion before a voter can proceed to checking in.
- Eliminating the use of the application form would speed the voting process considerably.
- The check-in process on an absentee in-person voting days would be efficient and fast – just as on Election Day.
- Rather than changing the excuse list bit by bit, year by year, make 2018 the NO EXCUSE year.