Making Democracy Work in Virginia
The League of Women Voters of Virginia, a nonpartisan political organization of men and women, encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy.
Your Vote Counts.
"Nobody will ever deprive the American people of the right to vote except the American people themselves and the only way they could do this is by not voting." Franklin D. Roosevelt
Upcoming Events Learn More
- This section of the site is dedicated to providing users with a "preview" of major upcoming events of the LWV-VA. It will be a first alert to allow members and friends to mark their calendars to save the date for important events and provide links to other information as it becomes available.
Elections & Voting Learn More
- Election and General Voting Information
Calendar of Events Learn More
Announcements Learn More
- Check here for the latest important announcements and news from the League of Women Voters of Virginia!
Women's Legislative Roundtable (WLRT) Learn More
This informational forum is where legislators and other non-profit organizations talk about pending legislation and issues of concern. Sessions are sponsored and moderated by the League of Women
Voters of Virginia (LWV-VA). WLRT meetings are held at 8:30 AM
every Wednesday during the Virginia General Assembly Session, starting the Wednesday after the General Assembly convenes in
Meetings traditionally have been held on Capitol Square at the General Assembly Building. See the LWV-VA Calendar Tab for 2014 WLRT dates and location. Below are past reports from each week's WLRT meeting and other information, organized by General Assembly Session year. Reports from years before 2012 are included in
the Archives sub-section of this page. League positions on legislation, if any, are included in the
Action/Advocacy section of this website. To learn more about the roundtable, read LWV-Va's brochure.
In preparation for the WLRTs, the league holds an annual Pre-Session Women's Legislative Roundtable early in
December, preceding following year's General Assembly Session, to provide a look ahead at the anticipated
issues that will arise. Networking with activists and many advocacy groups is one of the top reasons given for
attending. A full morning of five-minute power speeches from issue experts who have been on the front lines
during General Assembly sessions will preview, predict, and prepare league members and others for action in
Action & Advocacy Learn More
- The League of Women Voters at all levels advocates and lobbies on issues on which it has statements of position. When legislation is being introduced or considered on a topic about which the League has a position, an "Action Alert" to the members may be issued. Watch this page for Action Alerts for the 2014 General Assembly Session.
For Members Learn More
- Information for League Members About League Terms and Processes
WE WILL CONTINUE THE FIGHT FOR VOTING RIGHTS!