What does National Popular Vote Mean? Every vote for the president counts. In every state that adopts the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact (NVPIC), with the exact wording, every electoral vote for that state will go to the presidential candidate who wins the country’s popular vote. Once enough states totaling 270 electoral votes adopt the NVPIC, the president will be elected by the popular vote making every vote count and the Electoral College obsolete. Currently, 10 states with a total of 172 electoral votes have enacted into law NVPIC.
Why should the League advocate for NVPIC?
- LWVUS has a position supporting “…the election of the President and Vice-President by direct-popular vote.”
- This will make every vote count. Votes will be equal across the country.
- It is a bipartisan issue.
- LWV has the necessary grassroots organization.
- The action could increase members.
What actions would be required of LWVUS?
- Coordinate efforts between states.
- Facilitate collaboration among Leagues.
- Support states where NPVIC is likely to pass.
Strategies for having the convention adopt NPVIC as part of the 2018 – 2020 biennium Program as well as having states enact NPVIC were discussed.
Nationalpopularvote.com, retrieved December 11, 2017
Every Vote Equal: A State-Based Plan for Electing the President by National Popular Vote, by John R. Koza, et. al. at http://www.every-vote-equal.com
Submitted by Peggy Knight, LWVFA