- Contact your senator to support the Right to Vote–Especially if your senator is on the Senate Privileges & Elections Committee: Vogel (Chairperson), Howell, Deeds, Edwards, Reeves, Ebbin, Chafin, DeSteph, Chase, Ruff, Cosgrove, Dance, Spruill, Peake. Please contact them before Wednesday!
- Contact your delegate to support the companion house amendment, HJ598.
- After contacting your legislator, report your advocacy here.
Status: The Senate P&E Committee will take up the senate amendments January 9. The House P&E Committee may take up the house version when it meets Friday morning; the committee agenda has not yet been published.
Justification: Every citizen should have the right to vote and that right should be protected. The amendment “[e]stablishes that the sole qualifications to vote in the Commonwealth are United States citizenship, being at least 18 years of age, residency in the Commonwealth, and registration to vote in accordance with the requirements set out in the Constitution of Virginia. The amendment further provides that any person who meets those qualifications has the right to vote and that such right cannot be abridged by law. The bill removes from current constitutional qualifications to vote not having been convicted of a felony and not having been adjudicated to be mentally incompetent.”
- The right to vote should be guaranteed, without exception — not based on payment of fees or as a reward.
- At all times, and under all circumstances, we should encourage participation in decision-making.
- Full rights promote rehabilitation, responsibility, and positive civic engagement.
LWVUS Principle: The League of Women Voters believes that every citizen should be protected in the right to vote.
Find your Senator or Delegate Here:
Find more information on the Right to Vote here.
Always keep our League policy in mind:
“Only the President or her designee is authorized to speak for the League.
However, we encourage all members to contact their public officials as individuals, whether or not they agree with a League position.”