Who we are and what we do.
The League of Women Voters of the United States encourages informed and active participation in government works to increase understanding of major public policy issues and influences public policy through education and advocacy.
Empowering voters. Defending democracy.
We envision a democracy where every person has the desire, the right, the knowledge and the confidence to participate.
We believe in the power of women to create a more perfect democracy.
The League of Women Voters has two separate and distinct roles.
- Voters Service/Citizen Education: we present unbiased nonpartisan information about elections, the voting process, and issues. To conduct our voter service and citizen education activities, we use funds from the League of Women Voters of Virginia Education Fund, which is a 501(c)(3) corporation, a nonprofit educational organization.
- Action/Advocacy: we are nonpartisan, and, after study, we use our positions to advocate for or against particular policies in the public interest. The League of Women Voters, a membership organization, conducts action and advocacy and is a nonprofit 501(c)(4) corporation.
The goal of the League of Women Voters is to empower citizens to shape better communities worldwide.
The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan political membership organization that:
- acts after study and member agreement to achieve solutions in the public interest on key community issues at all government levels
- builds citizen participation in the democratic process.
- engages communities in promoting positive solutions to public policy issues through education and advocacy.
The League of Women Voters Education Fund is a nonpartisan public policy educational organization which:
- builds citizen participation in the democratic process
- studies key community issues at all governmental levels in an unbiased manner
- enables people to seek positive solutions to public policy issues through education and conflict management.
We believe in:
- respect for individuals
- the value of diversity
- the empowerment of the grassroots, both within the League and in communities
- act with trust, integrity, and professionalism
- operate in an open and effective manner to meet the needs of those we serve, both members and the public
- take the initiative in seeking diversity in membership
- acknowledge our heritage as we seek our path to the future.