Positions are formed at national, state, and local levels. While national positions form the network for action at the national level, those positions can also be applied at stat and local levels. State and Local Leagues can develop their own positions for things not covered by LWVUS or for expanding those national positions to better fit state or local needs.
LWVUS Impact on Issues
The complete Positions of the LWV of United States (LWVUS), titled IMPACT ON ISSUES, can be found on their website in web version or downloadable .pdf file.
- Read Impact on Issues – Online Edition here.
- For downloadable version of full document or specific sections go here..
All Links to Impact on Issues:
- Impact on Issues 2016-2018 Foreward.pdf – This provides the purpose of the document and some tips on reading and implementing these at the state and local level.
- Impact on Issues 2016-2018 Legislative Action.pdf – The How’s and Why’s of LWVUS Legislative Action.
- Impact on Issues 2016-2018 Principles.pdf – These Principles are an expression of the League beliefs and values. “The Principles are rather broad when standing alone, so it is necessary to exercise caution when considering using them as a basis for action.”
- Impact on Issues 2016-2018 FULL.pdf – This is the full text. A large file, it can be slow to load. A download to your own computer can be helpful to increase speed of access in the future.
- Impact on Issues 2016-2018 Positions in Brief.pdf – This is the “short form” of the positions which does not contain the history. A “Just the facts” version for quick reference. At 4 pages, it can easily be printed and carried with you.
- Impact on Issues 2016-2018 Representative Government.pdf – With the primary goal of “Promote an open governmental system that is representative, accountable and responsive.” This section covers: Voting Rights, The Election Process (including Redistricting and Money in Politics), Citizen Rights, Congress and the Presidency, and Privatization
- Impact on Issues 2016-2018 International Relations.pdf – Includes: United Nations, Trade, U.S. Relations with Developing Countries, Arms Control, and Military Policy & Defense Spending.
- Impact on Issues 2016-2018 Natural Resources.pdf – Includes: Resource Management, Environmental Protection & Pollution Control, Public Participation, and Agriculture Policies.
- Impact on Issues 2016-2018 Social Policy.pdf Includes: Equality of Opportunity, Federal Role in Public Education, Fiscal Policy, Health Care, Immigration, Meeting Basic Human Needs, Child Care, Early Intervention for Children at Risk, Violence Prevention, Gun Control, Urban Policy, Death Penalty, Sentencing Policy, and Human Trafficking.
LWV National Capital Area Positions
Virginia Local League Positions
- League of Women Voters of Charlottesville Area [No longer available on website]
- League of Women Voters of Fairfax AreaPositions [Read Here]
- League of Women Voters of Falls Church Positions [Read Here]
- League of Women Voters of Loudoun County Positions [Read Here]
- League of Women Voters of Lynchburg Positions [Read Here]
- League of Women Voters of Montgomery County Positions [Read Here]
- League of Women Voters of Prince William Area Positions [Read Here]
- League of Women Voters of the Richmond Metropolitan Area Positions [Read Here]
- League of Women Voters of South Hampton Roads Positions [Read Here]
- League of Women Voters of the Williamsburg Area Positions [Read Here]