Redistricting remains an ongoing issue in Virginia. The League of Women Voters of Virginia has been very active in efforts to bring about a nonpartisan process for drawing legislative lines by a commission as described by the Redistricting Coalition of Virginia, formed in 2010 and of which LWV-VA is a member organization. LWV-VA has participated with the Coalition in educating and informing voters in Virginia about the importance of this issue. Following are press releases and statements, organized by year, about the topic in the current year and in years past.
A TRIBUTE TO GERRYMANDERING
- Redistricting Reform in Virginia: Why It’s Needed, Why We Should Care, by Virginia Wertman, LWV Williamsburg Area, June 23, 2017
- Does Your Vote Really Count, Part I, prepared by LWVFA
- Does Your Vote Really Count, Part II, prepared by LWVFA
For older Redistricting documents and information, please refer to our Action & Advocacy Archives page. [Click Here]
Other Resources for Redistricting Information
- The Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service (University of Virginia has an extensive collection of materials related to “Redistricting Virginia.” (This collection is no longer found on their website. Some information can be found in this document: Redistricting Virginia
- The Commonwealth of Virginia: Division of Legislative Services: Redistricting 2010 website contains information about the process that resulted in this most recent redistricting. Web site no longer available.
- VPAP (Virginia Public Access Project) Redistricting Portal.