From LWV Texas:
Best Practices for GOTV – On the LWV Texas website is this page with links to handouts, tutorials, power points and data sources all on the topic of “Get Out The Vote”. Main topics:
- Voter Education Best Practices
- Voter Mobilization Best Practices
- Engaging Target Populations
- (although most are from 2016, the basic templates can still be used by simply changing the date or a few words)
Northern Virginia “GWCF Grant Working Group”
The following documents were developed by the Northern Virginia “GWCF Grant Working Group”: LWV of Arlington, LWV of Fairfax Area, LWV of Loudoun County and LWV of Prince William Area with grant money provided by the Greater Washington Community Foundation (GWCF). Each of the pieces was professionally designed and approved by LWVUS. The purpose of the grant is to help LWV NOVA local Leagues reach low participation voters in under-served areas, but they also function well for outreach to all voters. Although the Grant money may not be used to provide printed materials to any local Leagues other than the 4 NOVA local Leagues, the working group developed PDFs that all LWV-VA local Leagues may download and print. See related article in the April 2019 Voter Express on pages 2-3.
- Vote411,.org, this PDF includes a “fillable” area where local Leagues can add their contact information before printing. It is designed to fit in a #10 envelope.
- NOTE: This “fillable” form does not work with the Firefox browser and does not work with some mobile devices. Please download the file to your computer to use it correctly.
- GOTV postcard, this PDF is a nice get-out-the-vote postcard designed to work for primaries and for the general elections. It does not have any specific information on it, but it has a place for local Leagues to enter the election date. In recent elections, GOTV postcard writing “parties” hosted by local Leagues have proven to be very popular. This card has a nice professional design that is flexible for volunteers to write their GOTV messages. Postcard postage is all that is required to mail this card.
- NOTE: This is set up to print one copy at a time as if printing to postcard-sized card stock. If you wish to print multiple copies on one sheet of paper, then cut apart, that will have to be designed by or for you.
- USPS specifications for postcard sizes and paper weight:
US Postal Service Standard Postcard Size
The US Postal Service defines postcards as having a maximum and minimum size and a maximum and minimum thickness. The following table gives the specifications in both inches and millimetres (cm dimensions can be calculated by dividing mm by 10)
Size Length x Height (in) Length x Height (mm) Thickness (in) Thickness (mm) Maximum 6.0 x 4.25 in 152.4 x 107.9 mm 0.016 in 0.406 mm Minimum 5.0 x 3.5 in 127.0 x 88.9 mm 0.007 in 0.178 mm
- The Disabilities bookmark card provide concise voting information for disabled voters. It was designed with the help of a mother of a disabled voter. It has three bookmarks per 8 1/2 x 11″ page. It is two pages with front and back on each page.
- This file contains 2 sets of 2 pages each front and back sides.
The Grant Working Group recommends that each of these GOTV pieces be printed on card stock paper.
The Grant Working Group now is working on getting the VOTE411 piece translated into Korean, Vietnamese and Spanish. The Group hopes to have the Disabilities piece translated into Spanish. The Group also is exploring translations of the VOTE411 piece into Arabic and Mandarin. The grant expires on October 31, 2019 but the materials were designed to be used as long as they are relevant and useful, in many election cycles..
The Working Group members are: Kathy Matusiak, LWVARL; Sidney Johnson, LWVFA; Joanne McAlpine, LWVLC; Carol Proven, LWVPWA; and Maggi Luca & Linda Garvelink, LWV-VA.
General Images You Can Use
These are done using Canva so by simply getting a free Canva account and asking us to share them with you, you can customize them for your league. If you need any help starting to use Canva, let us know! If you have an idea for an image but are not sure how to set it up, let us know. (email@example.com)
From LWV-VA Special VOTE411
These are from LWVNCA.
Some need to be modified for local use, others do not. Several are the same image but with slightly different height and width so that they can be applied in a variety of situations. If you need help modifying, let us know. (firstname.lastname@example.org)