Timeline for Forming Positions
How Does A League Form “Positions”? What Is League Program?
In the League, a “position” is a statement of the League’s point of view on an issue, arrived at through member study and agreement (consensus or concurrence), approved by the appropriate board and used as a basis for League action. The term League “Program” includes the entire process from proposing a topic for study to action on the position reached through that study, as well as including all of the positions that have been adopted by the respective League (local, state, regional or national Leagues).
There are four major steps in developing a position:
- The League selects an issue to be studied at Convention or Council at state or by LLs at annual meetings.
- The League studies the issue in a non-partisan, unbiased and objective manner.
- Members come to an agreement about the issue using either the process of consensus or concurrence.
- Based upon the result of the consensus or concurrence, a position statement is written, adopted by the respective League board, and subsequently approved by the League membership at an annual meeting or convention.
Year 1 through June 30, 2022
- May/June, odd-numbered years, LWV-VA Convention adopts studies. (5/2021)
- July (2021)—Study Committees get organized, begin research & share timeline, information, suggested activities, with local Leagues.
- Local Leagues may have speakers, reading discussions, other activities to learn about the issues being studied.
Year 2 through June 30, 2023
- July (2022)—Study Committees develop consensus questions, state board approves & disseminates to local Leagues.
- Local Leagues plan their study consensus calendars to complete reports before the deadline.
- August-February (2023)—Local Leagues continue learning, hold consensus meetings and report results at least 3 months before Convention. Local Leagues also review existing state positions and may propose new studies.
- Study Committees & Program Director tabulate consensus reports, determine areas of consensus, draft positions & submit to state board.
- Board adopts final position wording and shares with League members.
- Positions are discussed and voted on at Convention (June 3-4, 2023).