Federal and State Voting Laws and Regulations, as well as important changes to those can be found here.
Federal Voting Laws and Regulations
- Dept. of Justice: Statutes Enforced by the Voting Section [Read Here]
- HAVA: Help America Vote Act of 2002 was passed by US Congress, reforming the nation’s voting process. It resulted in improvements to voting systems and voter access issues that were identified after the 200 election. Read More Here
Virginia Election Laws: Regulations and Policies
REGISTERING TO VOTE
If you are already registered to vote, you do not have to re-register unless you have moved or changed your name. You can check to see if you are registered by going to the State Board of Elections (SBE) web site: https://www.vote.virginia.gov.
- If you have a current Virginia driver’s license or ID issued by the DMV, you can register or update your registration online by going to: https://www.vote.virginia.gov.
- You can download, print and complete the SBE registration form and take or mail it to your local voter registration office. (address on form)
- You can obtain a copy of the form at your local voter registration office, DMV, or other government office and complete it in person or mail it to your local voter registration office.
If you do not receive a voter card within 30 days, contact the SBE or your local voter registration office
LWV-VA COMMENTS SUBMITTED ON PROPOSED VIRGINIA PHOTO ID REQUIREMENTS